2.23.2010

Unexpected Kindness









This morning was not pleasant. For no discernible reason, I woke up in a BAD mood...definitely a case of the wrong side of the bed. Things only went downhill from 6:08 am on. My wrong side of the bed moment evolved into a bad-hair day which progressed into a shlumpy outfit and finally into my 8am class where I felt like I was about as articulate as Wendy Williams or a cast member from The Hills (for those of you who don't watch as much tele-filth as I do...that would mean I was very inarticulate, borderline incoherent).

After a morning of crankitude, I ventured off to the market to pick up a few essentials (in our house, that's half & half and Yoplait whipped vanilla yogurt and quesadilla fixins').

While stewing in my funk, I walked up to the front of the store to collect a shopping cart. From around a corner, the Albertson's cart guy, approached me, wearing a grin, ear to ear. This man, came nearer and in the most sincere and gracious manner, told me that I had a nice smile and "to have a beautiful day." Kindness, especially from total strangers, is a rarity in our modern lives. So, I must admit I was taken aback by this man's generous words and evanescent spirit.

Lesson learned, be nice. Be unexpectedly and unabashedly nice to the people who don't see it coming. Pay the toll for the car behind you. Give a cold bottle of water to the man begging on the corner. Just offer a smile to someone who looks like they could use it. There are enough jerks in the world (I assure you, I live in "the OC")---so, go out there and be nice, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails