7.20.2010

Banana Bread, Take 2

As I've mentioned many times over, most of my baking inevitably involves mushy bananas---not because I especially love them, but because they are always sitting on my kitchen counter.  I feel some sort of Depression-era guilt for throwing away produce that can be re-purposed.  I simply can't bid adieu to ye ole' bananas.

Last night, with four overly ripe nanners awaiting my experimentation, I set out to make yet another boring banana bread.  On this particular evening, however, I wanted evolved banana bread, banana bread with an attitude.



I mixed up my favorite banana bread recipe (I prefer the recipes that implement plain whole fat yogurt).  Then, I buttered and floured a springform pan.  In the base of the pan, I spread about two cups of fresh blueberries and one cup of brown sugar.  I poured the banana bread mixture over top the blueberries and baked for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  

The result of this experimentation was a caramelized, gooey, upside-down blueberry banana cake. 

The moral of the gustatory story: when you know a recipe like the back of your spatula, mix it up.  Add or substitute an ingredient and take your plain Jane recipe to new culinary heights.

3 comments:

  1. I love recipes w/ blueberries & bananers! Sounds delish! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always make banana butterscotch muffins with my ripe bananas. The recipe sounds delish! I love that you added the blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness, that is a wonderful idea!!! it looks so tasty!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails