11.01.2010

Let them eat cake

For my hubby's birthdays past, I have baked his favorite German chocolate cake: ooey, gooey & coconuty.  But, this year, he requested something new, something even MORE decadent.  The birthday cake inspiration this year was a classic Reese's peanut butter cup.  The goal was a chocolate cake with peanut butter filling and a chocolate ganache exterior.  Two days post peanut butter cake, it is but a memory and a dimple of cellulite on my thighs.  But, oh, oh, oh, was it mighty tasty!
While I "cheated" and used boxed Devil's food cake (but...swapped 1/3 cup of rum for water to add extra flavor) à la Sandra Lee's semi-homemade approach, I made the peanut butter frosting and chocolate ganache from scratch.
My cakes always end up looking "rustic" with uneven, wonky layers and odd frosting arrangements, but they taste delish and isn't that all that counts?  Though my perfectionist self secretly desires to be a cake-decorating guru with precise fondant icing and artful details, I also don't terribly mind the look of an imperfect, "granny-style," birthday cake that proudly displays the fact that it was made with love.

3 comments:

  1. the made with love & rustic look is always so much more appreciated! it still looks mouth watering too! x

    patisserie coeur
    http://www.fromvictoriawithlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who was treated to a slice of your four-layer chocolate cake, I can attest that is was simply DIVINE! Loved the peanut butter frosting between the layers and the chocolate ganache. Tres delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can never go wrong w/ granny style! ;)
    Can you send me your german chocolate recipe? That is T-bone's favorite cake too! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails