12.27.2012

Breakfast Break: Caramel Apple Oatmeal

Even here in Southern California, the land of perpetual sunshine, it's been quite chilly lately.  When I wake up and see frost on the windows, I need something warm and cozy for breakfast.  My favorite Trader Joe's quick-cook steel cut oats are wonderfully nutty and belly-filling on a cold morning, but during the holidays I like to add an extra decadent touch.  

Add two tablespoons of butter, two tablespoons of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon to a sauté pan.  Melt and add a diced apple (Ambrosia apples are my current favorites).  Caramelize the apples slightly and place them atop your oatmeal.  A dollop of cranberry-clementine relish rounds out the festive breakfast treat.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! would be super great without the pesky oatmeal! Beautiful photo and i love the easy peasy directions!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession: sometimes (read: every time), I eat oatmeal, I add a slice of real-deal butter on top. Paula Deen taught me this trick. That makes the oatmeal kinda sorta like something decadent. (and the butter probably negates every single health benefit, but a mere technicality, I say!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails