3.09.2010

Cocktail du jour

Ever since I first saw A Single Man last month, it has been sitting with me---scenes and lines from the film reappearing in my minds-eye arbitrarily.

While the film stunned and hypnotized me with its artful imagery, one silly little line introduced me to a new cockta
ilian pleasure: the old classic Gin and tonic.

In the film, Julianne Moore's character, Charlotte (though she goes by the much more irreverent "Charley"), asks Colin Firth (George) to "pick up a bottle of Tanqueray" because she "loves the color of the bottle." He quickly and in the most Colin Firthiest manner retorts, "no, darling, you love what's inside."


Like Charley, I am loving the
emerald-colored glass bottle and am developing a taste for the juniper-scent and crispness of what's inside it.

Beyond merely making you want to sip on a G&T, I also want to entice you to see the film.













One of the most defining quotations:

"
A few times in my life I've had moments of absolute clarity, when for a few brief seconds the silence drowns out the noise and I can feel rather than think, and things seem so sharp and the world seems so fresh. I can never make these moments last. I cling to them, but like everything, they fade. I have lived my life on these moments. They pull me back to the present, and I realize that everything is exactly the way it was meant to be" -George

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails