Homemade blueberry muffins are a true taste of summer. Who needs a boxed mix when recipes are this simple?
In June, when blueberries are plump and sweet, I add them to many baked goods. These muffins are dense (the consistency of a scone) and scrumptious with a morning cup of coffee on the porch.
Makes 12 muffins1 3/4 cups flour
6 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 egg beaten
3/4 cup half and half
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup blueberries
1 tsp grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, vanilla, milk, and oil.
- Add egg mixture, all at once, to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Yes, the batter should be lumpy. (If you try to stir all the lumps out, your muffins will be very tough.)
- Carefully fold in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Grease muffin cups, or line with paper bake cups; fill each 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400°F for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pans; serve warm with butter.