Hey y'all. I just returned from a long weekend at my grandparents' house in Tennessee.
Aside from cultivating my love for Lipton's sweet tea and reminding me about the joy of screened-in porches and rocking chairs, my grandmother also taught me a few country cookin' gems.
- Butter beats "EVOO" any day
- White cornmeal and buttermilk are essential in homemade cornbread
- Cast iron skillets should be treated with tender loving care
- Why steam something that you can fry?
- Homegrown tomatoes go with every meal
- Corn is a true multitasker. Remember how Forrest Gump's friend Bubba felt about shrimp? That's how my grandma feels about corn: creamed corn, corn on the cob, corn relish.....