7.14.2010

Dinner for a Summer Night


In the middle of a hot summer evening, the last thing I want to do is fire up my oven or hover over my stove.  Often when the temperatures soar, I opt for a dinner of chilled salads and other nibbly bites.


Caprese salad is classic summer fare.  I prefer to put a California twist on my version of Caprese by adding in a sliced avocado to the usual tomatoes, fresh buffalo mozzarella and basil.  Drizzle the salad with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and grind a little fresh pepper and sea salt on top.  

Poached and chilled asparagus, a pasta salad and some seasonal fruits round out the dinner. 

Be sure to choose a loaf of artisan bread at your market, you'll assuredly want to soak up all that extra olive oil with a crusty wedge of ciabatta or baguette.

So, pull together some of your favorite chilled summer salads, pour yourself a nice glass of vino and dine al fresco.  Enjoy those summer nights!
Photos by moi.  Dinner last night & Arles, France 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails