- "Never eat more than you can lift." -Miss Piggy
- At nearly five months pregnant, food has become my passion. There are no more cocktails. Doctor has ordered that I stay off my feet and forgo exercise. Shopping has even been tabled for the moment. So, clearly, food is the thing. Lately, Miss Piggy and I seem to be using the same parameters for consumption.
Since it's been especially chilly in SoCal this week, I've been craving comfort food. Generally, comfort food equals calories. But, I've discovered a delish lasagna dinner that's perfect for a cool lazy winter's evening but easy on the (in my pregnant case, ever-expanding) waistline.
- 1 pound ground turkey (7% fat)
- 1 yellow onion, diced small
- 2 tablespoons diced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 jars of your favorite marinara sauce (I prefer the sauce with mushrooms for added texture)
- 1 container of ricotta cheese (part-skim works well)
- 1 bag of shredded mozzarella
- 1 bag of shredded "Italian Blend" cheese (asiago, Parmesan, provolone)
- 2 eggs
- 1 box of frozen spinach, thawed, and all liquid squeezed out
- 1 box of no-boil lasagna noodles (I prefer Barilla brand)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large sauté pan, cook (in 1 teaspoon of olive oil) onion until translucent. Add garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add turkey to onion mixture and cook through. Add marinara sauce and allow the meat and sauce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a glass bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, spinach, 1 cup of the "Italian Blend" cheese and salt and pepper.
- In a 9 x 13 baking dish, begin building layers. Begin with sauce, uncooked noodles, ricotta/spinach mixture, then sprinkle mozzarella over top. Repeat until all ingredients are used, ending with sauce and then shredded cheese on last layer. Top with one final sprinkling of Italian blend cheese, freshly ground pepper, and a touch of oregano.
- Baked uncovered for 1 hour. Cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve with fresh ciabatta bread, a nice green veggie and salad.