9.23.2011

Flowers for Friday

"There is nothing more difficult for a truly creative painter than to paint a rose, because before he can do so he has first to forget all the roses that were ever painted."
-Henri Matisse
I'm buried deep in grading papers, housework and baby care, but I needed to take a Friday pause to relish in the loveliness of a bunch of roses on my coffee table.

As my faithful readers know, I allow myself one bunch of flowers each week when I do my grocery shopping.  Whether feast or famine in my checking account, those flowers are something I grant my home always.  Each time I catch a whiff of their fragrance or watch the petals slowly unfold, I feel simple delight. 
Though roses are perhaps the most common variety of flowers gifted, I never tire of their elegance and scent. 
Henri Matisse, Citrons sur fond rose
When was the last time you bought yourself flowers? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails