On a cool February Sunday, homey and satisfying beef stew is the perfect slow-simmering, make-the-house-smell-divine kind of meal to enjoy with your family.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 pounds lean stew beef
- 1 cup Red Wine (I like an inexpensive Bordeaux)
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 carrots, cut in pieces
- 6 medium yellow potatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 container of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Combine flour, paprika and garlic powder in a ziploc bag; add beef and toss to coat. Brown coated beef in hot oil in a large skillet; transfer to the Crockpot.
- Deglaze pan with wine and Worcestershire sauce, add to crockpot when deglazed.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except for the peas) to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until vegetables are tender---taste half way through for salt and pepper.
- About 10 minutes before serving, add peas to the pot.
- Serve with fresh, crusty bread and a bottle of red wine.