2.15.2011

The Best Chocolate Cake Ever

It is morning here in SoCal, so naturally, my thoughts have turned to cake (if you are not pregnant like moi, you must forgive my craving-dominated food posts until August). 

There is a large chocolate buttercream cake staring me in the face and I'm wondering how I can justify eating it for breakfast.  Well, it does have eggs in it.  And a touch of coffee to perk me up.  Oh, and I'm sure I could use an extra dose of antioxidants from the chocolate.   Alright, cake for breakfast indeed.

It is THE BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE EVER---a bold claim, I know.  Even though I've seen Ina make this cake countless times, I thought how good can it really be?  It's just chocolate after all.  Oh boy, was I mistaken.  There is something about the combination of coffee and chocolate in this cake that makes it extra decadent, impossibly moist and deeply rich.  It is nothing fancy, but it is fantastically delicious.
The recipe was borrowed directly from FoodNetwork.  The only baking adjustment I made was making three shorter eight inch layers instead of Ina's two.  The batter for this cake is very runny, but it bakes up nicely due to the combination of two leavening agents in the baking soda and baking powder.

Also, per other recipe reviewer's recommendations, I only included about half of the instant coffee in the buttercream frosting. I also omitted the raw egg yolk (due to my preggo state) but believe it would lend a real richness to the frosting. 

The cake didn't turn out especially pretty.  It looks old-fashioned, like something grandma would make for a Sunday lunch.  But, I assure you, it is among the most tasty cakes I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know. 

1 comment:

  1. Pink Frenchie,
    Your chocolate cake looks delish!
    Have you tried Helen Corbett's Hershey bar cake? It too is divinely decadent.
    I bake it in a bundt pan. All you need is a sprinkling of powerdered sugar but then a little icing is great too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails